Why Use Promotional Products? 10 Solid Reasons Why You Should.
What exactly are Promotional Products? Usually printed with a company name, logo or message, they are items that are for marketing and communication programs. Imprinted items that are distributed free of charge are called promotional products. Imprinted items given as an incentive for a specific action are known as premiums. Business gifts, awards and commemorative items are also considered promotional products.
What are some other names for Promotional Products? Promotional Items are sometimes referred to as swag, tchotchkes, gadgets, trinkets, giveaways, marketing collateral, handouts, doodads, goodies, marketing materials, gifts, "stuff", promos and probably lots of other terms you've heard. Whatever you choose to call them, they work. They should be an essential part of marketing your business because:
- They say "Thank You" to clients.
- They turn prospects into clients.
- They drive traffic and create excitement at tradeshows and conferences.
- They reward and motivate employees.
- They get snail mail opened.
- They are fun, functional, trendy, seen often, noticed and remembered.
- Some promotional products are actually walking billboards for your brand!
10 Reasons Why You Need to Use Promotional Products to Grow Your Business:
1. Promotional Products have REACH - 8 out of 10 surveyed own between 1 and 10 promotional products. 90.4% reported either currently owning or possessing a promotional product received within the last 24 months.
2. Promotional Products have LONGEVITY and STAYING POWER - 6 in 10 people keep promotional products for up to 2 years. Further, 58% of respondents keep a promotional product from 1 year to more than 4 years. Even if the recipient uses the item only once a week, that's a minimum of 52 impressions of your logo or brand over the course of a year. This means that if the promotional product is kept 4 years and seen only once per week = 208 impressions of your brand. This advertising medium has proven staying power with recent research reporting that 41 percent of promotional products are kept for one to five years, 22 percent are kept for six to 10 years, and 18 percent are kept for 11+ years.
3. Promotional Products provide RETURN ON INVESTMENT - Before receiving a promotional product, 55% of people surveyed had done business with the brand. After receiving a promotional product 85% of the people did business with the brand.
4. Promotional Products have LONG TERM RECALL - 88% of consumers can recall the brand or advertiser of a promotional product they received in the last 2 years!
5. Promotional Products are PRACTICAL - 91% of consumers have at least one promotional product in their Kitchen, 74% have at least one in their workspace while 55% have at least one in their bedroom. They're everywhere! Shouldn't consumers be seeing your brand?
6. Promotional Products are USEFUL - 77% say a promotional products' usefulness is the #1 reason to keep it. Health and safety products, technology products, such as USB flash drives and power banks, and writing instruments are ranked among the most useful.
7. Promotional Products have BROAD APPEAL - Women are more likely to have pens, calendars and bags, while men prefer to receive t-shirts and caps.
8. Promotional Products are EFFECTIVE - Adding promotional products to the mix of media that you are already using increases the effectiveness of other media by up to 44%.
9. Promotional Products are powerful in DIRECT MAIL - The inclusion of a promotional product in a snail mail promotion increased the response rate by 50%.
10. Promotional Products are a MARKETING POWERHOUSE at TRADE SHOWS - 71.6% of the attendees who received a promotional item at a trade show remembered the name of the company that gave them the product. Adding contact information to your logo assists attendees in finding you after the show. My experience is many brochures and other trade show and conference info get tossed. They keep the promotional item and use it to find you.
Bonus Reason 1. REFERRALS - Adding a promotional product to a letter requesting referrals from satisfied customers creates as many as 500% more referrals as a letter alone.
Bonus Reason 2. Promotional Products are THE THANK YOU MEDIA - it is the only form of advertising that the recipient thanks you for giving them!
Conclusion - Nothing engages your brand, logo or message with your clients and prospects like promotional products! Also, it is the only media that puts you in control of distribution. There is no wasted coverage as with other media. Because promotional products have value, they are appreciated & kept. And because they are useful, your brand, logo or message are seen repeatedly without any additional cost after the item is originally purchased. It is advertising that lives on.
Sources: PPAI & SAGE